If I need to change my legal name for religious reasons, is there a way to do this and still satisfy the requirements of a trust?

UPDATED: Nov 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I need to change my legal name for religious reasons, is there a way to do this and still satisfy the requirements of a trust?

I am the recipient of an annuity via a trust left me by my father. I need to change my legal name for religious reasons but this would complicate things because it is stated that the funds must be deposited directly to an account in my name. I have long since lost the paperwork to the trust as well as lost contact with the one in charge of the trust. It has been set up so that checks are automatically sent to my bank. Is there any simple solution to this? Maybe a legal alias or DBA name?

Asked on November 27, 2011 under Estate Planning, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

When you get your official name change per a court order, you will simply need to submit a copy of the certified order changing your name from what it is currently to what it will be with all of your financial institutions so that there will be a record as to your current name and soon to be future name showing that you are the same person.

I would personally speak with the manager of your bank to go over what you plan and doing and sign all paper work needed so that there will be no interruption in your receipt of the trust monies that you periodically receive. Keep all documents that you sign for future need.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption