I need to amend my mother’s Health Care POA

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I need to amend my mother’s Health Care POA

My mother, age 89 1/2, is in a Skilled Nursing Home dementia wing. I 67 and am the primary POA with a sister 66 the secondary POA. Both my sister and I are starting to have age related issues which are impacting our abilities to support mom. I am 150 miles away, and the drive is becoming a challenge. My sister has back issues, kidney stones, etc.

We have a younger brother 58 who is 30 miles away that is more than willing an able to become a POA.

I know that I will need a local lawyer to make any changes, but before I contact their office

Can I add a third POA my brother to the POA mix? Or can I replace an existing POA most likely my sister with my brother?

I am the primary Financial POA with my sister being second. That POA has no need for a change, since it does not involve any travel for me.

Asked on November 12, 2018 under Estate Planning, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, you cannot amend or replace a power of attorney: only your mother, the principal (person creating or granting the power) can do this, and if she is no longer mentally competent (e.g. due to dementia), she will not be able to do this, either: only mental competent persons may made or revise POAs. If she is not mentally compentent, you will have to have her declared incompetent and a legal guardian (e.g. your brother) or guardians (e.g. you and your brother) appointed for her. Consult wth an elder law attorney about doing this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption