I need help with questions about getting bond reinstated

UPDATED: Jul 4, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 4, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I need help with questions about getting bond reinstated

My husband was arrested for a **** case while out on bond for another **** case. The second case was dropped and now he needs to get his bond reinstated for the first case. Is it his pd for his first case job to make sure this happens upon his request? He goes to court on 7/7 and i need to make sure she gets the documentation to prove the second case was dropped but the pd told a friend of his that was not her job. What do i need to do to make sure his bond is reinstated when he goes to court Tuesday and is this her job? Please help.

Asked on July 4, 2009 under Criminal Law, Illinois


M.S., Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Although I do not practice law in the State of Illinois, here are my initial impressions.  First, it is your husband's attorney's job (whether she is a private attorney or a public defender) to file any appropriate motions on his behalf, including but not limited to motions for reduction/reinstatement of bond.  It sounds as if your husband's attorney is refusing to attempt to obtain documentation regarding the dismissal of the second case.  I suggest that you go to the Court where your husband's second case was dismissed and request a certified copy of the dismissal from the clerk's office.  Since dismissals are often erased from the public record, you may need to bring proof that you are his wife (such as a marriage license and ID) or a power of attorney, to obtain the appropriate documentation.  Then you should forward that documentation to your husband and his attorney so that he can demand that she file the appropriate motion on his behalf.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption