I need help with my problem. What can i do?

UPDATED: Apr 16, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I need help with my problem. What can i do?

I was charged with indecency/child. I didn’t have any money for properly defending myself, so i took a PLEAD DEAL. I served 2-years tdc. now I’m out and want to clear my name. So what can I do?

Asked on April 16, 2009 under Criminal Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

No one made you take a plea deal and either plead guilty to a lesser offense or accept a lesser sentence than the max you could have gotten.

If you did not have enough money to retain a private lawyer, and your friends and family did not lend money to you for that purpose, you sure had the right to have a public defender defend you and take your chances before a jury.

The fact that you did plead guilty and thus were convicted and served time now is a matter of public record.  So is the fact that you're probably required to register and identify yourself as a sex offender.

If removing all references from all news media and records is what you mean by "clearing my name" it's impossible. Even if you got a Pardon from the Governor the facts would still be public and anyone using Google could find it.

To escape being always labeled as a sex offender you'd need to have the conviction expunged -- and that's a very expensive process and relatively rare.

On the other hand, if you become a solid citizen and become a respected member of the community and someone ever asks, your answer could be along the same lines that George W. always said when asked about drinking or drugs. "I'm not going to defend my youthful actions. I was wrong. Fortunately I found God and became a different person..."


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption