What are my rights regarding a false allegation and unjust termination?

UPDATED: Dec 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights regarding a false allegation and unjust termination?

False accusation from parent of toddler at preschool center. No previous incidents. Not given opportunity to have a conversation with parent or director. Owner admitted that parent would pull the child out of daycare if I was not terminated.

Asked on December 1, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Do you have an employment contract or union agreement prohibiting your discharge under the circumstances? Does this type of dismissal violate existing company policy? Was there some form of actionable discrimination present in your treatment? If not, then I'm afraid that while your employer's action appears unfair, it is probably legal. 

The fact is that an employer has a great deal of discretion in setting the term and conditions of employment; this includes just when, how an employee is terminated. Under the law, an employer can fire an employee for any reason or no reason whatsoever. Bottom line, absent a contract, etc (as listed above) you have no claim for wrongful termination.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption