How to evict tenants in a proper way going accoding to the law?

UPDATED: Nov 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to evict tenants in a proper way going accoding to the law?

The lease states the “rent is $450” which they pay on time and that “tenants are responsible for all utilities”. I did the agreeement with this tenant who brought his girlfriend without permission. She said that “we cannot be responsible for a bill that the landlord is responsible for” and the bill came out to $200. Another thing, it’s been 3 months living there and they haven’t trash the garbage which I got a ticket for last month nor have they paid the water. I gave them a copy of the bill and also notice of the date due.

Asked on November 10, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you believe that the tenants are not abiding by the written lease agreement that you have with them, you need to carefully read its terms in that the lease sets forth the obligations owed to you by them and vice versa in the absence of conflicting state law.

If there is a breach of the lease and you want them out, you serve them with a thirty day eviction notice stating the reasons for the eviction. If you just want the money owed you and you really do not care if the tenants stay or remain, I would serve them with a 3 day notice to pay or quit. If they do not pay what is owed, then you serve them with a filed unlawful detainer action.

I suggest that you consult with a landlord tenant attorney further about your situation. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption