What to do about a noisy apartment complex?

UPDATED: Nov 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 27, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a noisy apartment complex?

I moved into an apartment complex 5 months ago. Since I moved in, the peole upstairs have been very loud and noisy. I went to the management office and told them that I need to do something. They suggested I transfer buildings. Yesterday I did so and signed a new lease for 12 months. Guess what? This apartment is 10 times worse than the first and backs up to a shopping complex which gets noisy – deliveries all night long and construction done in the middle of the night. What can I do? There is no way I can continue living here.

Asked on November 27, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the noise is due to factors beyond the landlord's control--such as the noise of a shopping complex--the landlord is not responsible for them and you are not entitled to terminate your lease early. If you do, you will be in breach of your lease and could be sued by the landlord for the rent you would owe for the remaining time of your lease, until its expiration (and/or he could take out of your securty deposit). You could try checking municipal noise ordinances: maybe the shopping center is violating them, in which case you may be able to get the police to enforce the ordinances against them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption