Am I liable for rent for the next 4 months if I moved in with a friend8 months ago butwe never signed any kind of contract?

UPDATED: Feb 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I liable for rent for the next 4 months if I moved in with a friend8 months ago butwe never signed any kind of contract?

Her sofa and love seat are 7 years old; she told me that she got them when she bought house. My dog scratched a whole in both pieces. Now she wants me to pay her $900. Everyone says that’s too much and she wants me out in 4 months. She said if I leave before then I still owe her $440 a month. We have no written lease. I pay every 2 weeks. What are my options?

Asked on February 13, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

1) If you are renting or subletting from someone without a written lease, you are a month-to-month tenant on an oral lease. That means that either party, you or the person you are renting from, may terminate tenancy on one months' notice, and one month's notice is all that's required. Therefore, the most future rent you could be liable for is one month.

2) If your dog damaged or destroyed her furniture, you could be liable for the actual cost to repair or replace it. Even if it's an old sofa, she could seek the cost to re-upholster it, or to buy a new sofa of similar quality, even if that is more than you think the sofa was worth. If you do not pay what she asks, she would have the option of suing you and trying to recover that amount in court. She'd have to prove both that your dog did the damage and the cost to repair or replace.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption