I missed my court date. What’s next?

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I missed my court date. What’s next?

I missed the court date by error I got
the ticket like one and a half months
ago and I thought the officer said it
was on the 5th so I let time go by and
set it in my calendar and asked off work
for this day and got it off.

Asked on January 4, 2018 under General Practice, New Mexico


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You do what the court told you: come in on the new date. Traffic or municipal court tends to not be punative or a stickler about issues like this: if you miss a court date innocently, but voluntarily come forward to let them know you missed it and ask for a new date, they will almost always reschedule the case without penalizing you. It's only when you *don't'* voluntarily come forward and they have to issue a bench warrant to drag you into court that you tend to suffer penalties.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption