If I missed a court date 2 years ago and want to take care of my warrant, what will happened if I go to open court?

UPDATED: Jul 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 1, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I missed a court date 2 years ago and want to take care of my warrant, what will happened if I go to open court?

I was arrested for theft under $500 2 years ago. I was sentenced to 10 days community service I completed nine days but missed the last one. I went back to court but it was rescheduled and I missed it the next time. I have since gotten married received my GED and been accepted to start college in the fall.. I also have three children and do not want to lose my job but want to take care of the legal trouble because we are moving back to the county I have the warrant in in a month.

Asked on July 1, 2012 under Criminal Law, Georgia


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

What will happen will depend on the judge and prosecutor in that county.  Considering this was a misdemeanor case, some dismiss cases after a certain amount of time of inactivity.  Others may impose penalities like jail time or extra community service.  Your best bet is to contact a criminal defense attorney in that jurisdiction to get a better feel for your judge's attitude towards bail jumping and to see if your case is active.  They may also be able to make some advance phone calls and get a new deal worked that won't impact your employment or home life too dramatically. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption