What are my rights if I made a typo on my insurance enrollment and accidentally opted out of medical coverage for my wife and kids?

UPDATED: Dec 10, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 10, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I made a typo on my insurance enrollment and accidentally opted out of medical coverage for my wife and kids?

I know that once the calendar year starts, my employer cannot legally add my family back on the coverage without a qualifying event. However, there are 2 factors 2 that I feel makes my case a little different. For one, the enrollment year in question has not started yet. And for another, my company has closed their annual enrollment but has not submitted the enrollment package to the underwriter yet (I called the actual insurance provider to confirm this). Legally, can my company update my paperwork and correct this typo before they submit it to insurance and before 01/01 of next year?

Asked on December 10, 2013 under Insurance Law, Utah


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking, no, you can not make changes to the paperwork after the open enrollment period has ended and with out a qualifying event.  So that you know, coverage and open enrollment is always for the next calendar year so in that respect your case is not really different from anyone else's. I would go speak with human resources and plead your case.  If it does not work then speak with them about COBRA for your family or other options until next year. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption