What to do if I want to terminate my probation early?

UPDATED: Dec 10, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 10, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I want to terminate my probation early?

I was arrested 6 years ago and released 2 years ago; I was sentenced to 5 years of sex offender probation. I have completed half of that sentence. When I signed my plea agreement it was stated that I would only be on ankle monitor for 1 year and after that I would be allowed to visit my children and such. However, none of this happened when I got out, so I would like to try to get off and or get modifications to my probation. Can I do this if I still owe on my probation?

Asked on December 10, 2013 under Criminal Law, Florida


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You will need to hire a criminal defense attorney to a) check to see if the probation agreement was breached by the court/probation officer and b) how to use this breach and get the bracelet off and be able to see your children. Now, if you have not met the full terms of your probation for other reasons but have met the terms of the ankle monitor and beyond, there may be something the attorney can do to negotiate this down.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption