What to do if my mother uses our child support for other things?

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my mother uses our child support for other things?

I’m 17 years old. My mother receives child support for me and my older sister. My older sister is currently in colleg; I stay with my mom. She uses our child support for other things instead of us. Is it possible for my 21 year old sister and I to receive our child support in our name instead of her?

Asked on September 15, 2012 under Family Law, Alabama


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You are writing from the state of Alabama, correct?  Your state protects the interests of its children and holds their rights near and dear to their heart and their justice system.  The law there allows a court great leeway in dealing with support issues and this includes the authority to order an accounting where there is evidence that a significant amount of money awarded to a custodial parent for child support is not being used for the benefit of the child.  Generally, the non custodial parent would request the accounting.  Now, you write here that your Mom uses the money for "other things" but you do not give specifics.  The money is supposed to go to support your basic needs: food, clothing, shelter.  If the agreement states it is to go to a gymnastics afterschool class then that too.  The payments do not mean that you are permitted to use them to buy a car or go on a vacation.  Speak with your Dad.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption