What to do if I just started renting a house and the homeowner next door has made sexually advances to my young son?

UPDATED: Aug 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I just started renting a house and the homeowner next door has made sexually advances to my young son?

We have seen in passing several times. While he doesn’t speak, he just stares and has this creepy smile. I don’t feel safe. I told landlord about it and he just plays it off like I am exagerrating. However, the police department found it disturbing enough that they have put a detective in the sex crimes division on the case. Is there some law that allows you out of a lease when you are fearful for your safety? My son shouldn’t be afraid to make friends or play outside.

Asked on August 20, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unless the next door neighbor is a registered sex offender and your landlord knew this fact and did not disclose this material information to you before you signed your lease agreement, you do not have a factual and legal basis to end your lease. However, I would make it clear to the landlord in writing about your concerns over this neighbor and keep your eye on your child at all times.

I would ask the landlord if he or she will allow you to end your lease in writing without recourse.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption