If I’m receiving SSI and will be getting an inheritance from a living trust for an unknown amount, what to do so I don’t lose my SSI?

UPDATED: Aug 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 17, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m receiving SSI and will be getting an inheritance from a living trust for an unknown amount, what to do so I don’t lose my SSI?

Additionally, I receive food stamps, caregiver services and transportation to medical services from the state. I also have subsidized Section 8 housing. I am worried that I will loose all of my government services and then run out of the money and end up living on the street with nothing. I would rather not have any inheritance and keep my life the way it is.

Asked on August 17, 2012 under Estate Planning, Oregon


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

An inheritance is a gift and is not income under the federal tax code so as to trigger your inability to receive benefits from the Social Security Administration. To be sure I suggest that you consult with an attorney that practices law concerning SSI to confirm the above answer since your question is somewhat sparse of facts.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption