What to do if a co-worker slashed my tires at work?

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a co-worker slashed my tires at work?

I’m pretty sure someone that I work with slashed my tire because he’s mad at me. I have a video of him kneeling down beside my car, where I lose sight of him, but then see him walking away from my car as he pockets a knife. Minutes later I walk out and see that my tire is totally flat. Is there anything I can do?

Asked on September 7, 2012 under Criminal Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

1) You can report him to the police and look to press charges--the deliberate destruction of another's property is a crime.

2) You can try to sue him, including potentially in small claims court, for the cost to replace your tires; you would have to be able to show that it is more likely than not (by a preponderance of the evidence) that he caused the damage, and you could use testimony as well as the video.

3) Inform your workplace: once they are aware that this employee poses a threat to you or your property, if they do not take steps to prevent future attacks, your employer could be liable for any losses or damage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption