What to do if I’m not being allowed to take breaks at my work?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I’m not being allowed to take breaks at my work?

I am part-time. I work 6 hour shifts with no break. I’m am told that I should get a break but my supervisor says part-timers don’t get one.

Asked on August 25, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Under California law if you are a non-exempt worker, you are entitled to meal and rest breaks as follows a 30-minute meal break if you work more than 5 hours in a workday, and 10 minutes breaks for every 4 hours you work. If your employer doesn&rsquot comply with these requirements, they are required to pay you 1 extra hour of regular pay for each day on which a violation occurred.
Here is a link that will explain further http//www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/faq_restperiods.htm
At this point, since the corporate office will do nothing to assist you, you should contact the Industrial Welfare Commission and/or an employment law attorney. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption