I’m moved out of the state my will was orginally made, is it still valid?

UPDATED: May 17, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 17, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I’m moved out of the state my will was orginally made, is it still valid?

I had my will done by an atty in CT when I was living there. Is it still legal since I moved to FL or do I need to have it redone by an atty here in FL?

Asked on May 17, 2009 under Estate Planning, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If a valid will was made while you were living in another state, it is probably valid in your new state. However, many state courts require re-verification from the original will witnesses in person, to attest to the will's validity. Because of the expenses involved in finding your witnesses, it is probably best to rewrite your will after moving to another state.

A "self-proved" will avoids this problem by including an affidavit, notarized and signed by the will's witnesses attesting to the validity of the will.

Most states allow a will to be self-proved.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption