If I’m having a dispute with my HOA, wheredo Ifind the guidelines that govern the boards ability to write the CCr’s?

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m having a dispute with my HOA, wheredo Ifind the guidelines that govern the boards ability to write the CCr’s?

I am in a civil dispute with my neighbor. It has gotten to the point where local law enforcement has informed me that I have the right to request copies of any false complaints pertaining to my residence and file harassment charges with the city. I was told that there may be a possibility that Ican include my HOA and board in those charges due to the fact that they have allowed, and in some ways participated in, his constant harassment to continue for so many years. Iwould also like to know what accountability there is for a HOA and board, in terms of discrimination towards residents?

Asked on February 22, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New Mexico


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The best way to start with documentation concerning guidelines concerning re-writing covenants, conditions & restrictions is to get a copy of the recorded document concerning your property, review any HOA bylaws and then any recorded rules on the planned unit development that you live in. I would also seek a copy of all rules concerning the HOA.

This should get you started with the documentation you need with respect to your question. You should also consider consulting with an attorney experienced with planned unit development matters.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption