What can I do if I’m currently separated and my husband gave away my dog?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I’m currently separated and my husband gave away my dog?

My husband and I had a verbal agreement that he would keep my dog until I could find a place that accepted pets. I visited my dog when I had time and offered on numerous occasions to either buy him food, medical needs, etc. or compensate whoever did. I have since bought a house and when I tried to get the dog back, his parents informed me that the dog had a new home and if I contacted them or my husband again, they would file harassment charges. Is there anything I can do?

Asked on January 2, 2016 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you bought or adopted the dog jointly (e.g. while you were married), then it was his dog as well, and he could give it away at will.
If if you had the dog before marriage, you may be able to sue the recipients of the dog to get it back IF he just gave it to them and did not sell it to them. However, if he sold it, then unfortunately, you most likely cannot do anything: the law does not generally make someone return property they bought (i.e. paid something for) in good faith without knowing that the person who sold it to them lacked full authority to sell it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption