What to do if I’mbeing wrongfully chargedwithassault by an ex-girlfriend?

UPDATED: Dec 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I’mbeing wrongfully chargedwithassault by an ex-girlfriend?

I had an ex girlfriend over to my apartment for a weekend of fun. She came and we hung out with 2 of my good friends. All 4 of us ended up drinking and sleeping at my apartment. My ex slept in my bed with me and as a result we had sex. We woke up the next morning to my ex cooking us breakfast and reminiscing about the night before. We (my ex and I) ended up relaxing all the next day on my couch watching movies (occasionally having sex). After she left I received a call from a detective saying that she is filing assault charges on me. What should I do? I am not guilty.

Asked on December 22, 2011 under Criminal Law, Utah


Russ Pietryga / Pietryga Law Office

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Do not speak with the detective or anybody else until after you have consulted with an attorney.  You have very little to gain and everything to lose if you speak to anybody but your attorney.

If you get arrested, refuse to speak with anybody until after you have consulted with your attorney.  


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption