If I’m being accused of stealing my lover’s credit card and using it to pay bills, what do I do if I was actually given permission to use it?

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m being accused of stealing my lover’s credit card and using it to pay bills, what do I do if I was actually given permission to use it?

I have been having an affair with an older man for over a year. He has paid my bills and paid for school. He is now claiming that he didn’t give me permission to use his credit card and last months charges were charged back to my phone account. He says that the bill was too high and that he didn’t give me permission to use the card as much as I did. He has been acting different and I believe that he has now found another young girl for himself. I am just worried that criminal charges will be brought against me.

Asked on August 18, 2011 Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If contacted by the authorities or arrested, get a criminal defense attorney--IMMEDIATELY. Don't talk to anyone, especially the authorities, until you've spoken with your lawyer (you have a right to not say anything). Ultimately, the issue will be can you disprove, or at least weaken, his assertions that you never had permission enough to avoid conviction. Towards that end, make sure you keep in a safe place all direct and  indirect evidence that you had permission.

Similarly, if not contacted by the authorities but if sued by him for the money he claims you owe, you would retain an attorney if you wanted to fight it...though if the amount is less than what hiring an attorney would cost, you might agree to repay him, but if yoiu do, make sure you get something in writing acknowledging that you are NOT agreeing that had no permission, but are paying simply to resolve a matter in the most expeditious way possible.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption