What are my rights if I’m an amputee and slipped and fell in a hotel bath?

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I’m an amputee and slipped and fell in a hotel bath?

I asked for an accessible room and they said OK. However, upon getting a room it really was handicapped equipped; there were no bars or anything to hold onto in the bathroom. Doing research on the company, I found out they own a couple of other companies. Due to my pain and suffering would it be reasonable to ask for something from one of their other businesses (in lieu of suing them or taking them to court)?

Asked on June 15, 2014 under Personal Injury, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can *always* ask for compensation, but unless you sue, that is voluntary on their part--it's up to them whether and what to offer.

If you were not injured, then you would have no viable legal claim, even if the company is at fault (see below): the civil courts (i.e. not criminal) are not there to punish wrongdoing primarily, but to offer compensation for injuries, damages, costs, etc. Even if there was fault, with no injury, there's nothing the court can give you.

If you saw the room lacked grabbed bars but did not complain to the desk and seek reassignment to a room that was actually accessible, but instead used the room as is, that could be taken to make the fault yours: you accepted what you were given and chose to use it, which means you take responsibility (at least in part) for what occured.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption