If I’m a permanet resident and have a year in US, can my sponsor legally take away my residency or cancel it?

UPDATED: Mar 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m a permanet resident and have a year in US, can my sponsor legally take away my residency or cancel it?

I just want to move out from my mom’s house but she keeps telling me that if I do it, my stepfather (who is my sponsor) will cancel my permanent residency. Therefore II would have to go back to my country where I have no one or nothing. Iam 19 years old, I work and I go to school. I just want to move out.

Asked on March 18, 2012 under Immigration Law, California


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

No, your sponsor cannot take away your permanent resident status simply because you want to move out of your mother's house.  There is no way that can happen.  However, as your sponsor, the stepfather may be liable for any means-tested public assistance you may receive from the government and, perhaps, their concern is that if you move out of their house, you are more likely to seek governmental assistance.  It is best to discuss the situation with them to understand where they are coming from but also to let them know that you know your rights as far as your status is concerned.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption