If I’m a commission-only employee paid a draw-against-commission and I leave my job but owe on my draw, am I required to pay back?

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m a commission-only employee paid a draw-against-commission and I leave my job but owe on my draw, am I required to pay back?

I read on the city Department of Labor website that in order for employers to require an employee to pay back money owed on a draw, there needs to be specific writing in the contract and frequency of reconciliation must be included. My contract says that I must “satisfy all outstanding debts prior to leaving.” Is that language enough to require me to pay back?

Asked on August 12, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes, that language is most likely is sufficient too  require you to pay back any amounts you owed on the draw. Certainly, it is enough to at least get the company in the courthouse door and put the issue before a judge, so you should assume that at a mininum, you could be required to spend the time and money to defend yourself (even if you end up winning), if the company elects to push the issue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption