If I’m 17 and still in high school, does my employer have to accommodate my after class schedule?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m 17 and still in high school, does my employer have to accommodate my after class schedule?

I am enrolled in band class and sometimes have after school performances that are a mandatory grade for the class. My employer told that if I went to the performance and didn’t go to work, she’d fire me. I really can’t afford the zero,but my job is important too. Is it legal for her to do that since it’s a grade for a class?

Asked on January 9, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, West Virginia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, your employeer does not legally have to accomodate your after school schedule. That is unless you have some form of an employment or union agreement that prohibits this action or if it violates company policy. Also, your treatment must not constitute some form of actionable discrimination (which it does not). The fact is that you are an "at will" employee. This means that your employor can set the terms and conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit or deems necessary. This includes when to schedule an employee to work.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption