If my doctor broke doctor-patient confidentiality by sending my parents my medical report in the mail, can I sue?

UPDATED: Jun 21, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 21, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my doctor broke doctor-patient confidentiality by sending my parents my medical report in the mail, can I sue?

I’m 16 years old. When I visited my doctor I told her that I was no longer a virgin and that I still threw up occasionally (I have history of bulimia). She told me all this information was going to be confidential between the two of us. She even proceeded to make my records confidential so other doctors could not see. She sent my parents my medical report which disclosed that information. I was very upset so I emailed her asking her why she would do such a thing. She replied within hours apologizing because she “made a terrible mistake”. She admitted she betrayed my trust. Can I sue her for breaking confidentiality?

Asked on June 21, 2014 under Malpractice Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can't simply for being upset, because lawsuits are not designed to vindicate your rights or punish wrongdoing--they are designed to compensate for economic losses, for physical injury, or *sometimes* for deliberately inflicted (not careless) acts which inflict emotional harm. Your doctor being careless and causing you embarrassment, or to be upset, is not the sort of "injury" the law provides compensation for, so you can't bring a lawsuit. You could file an ethical complaint against her, however, with the state board or agency which regulates and licenses doctors.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption