I lost my job in Feb. and I still can’t find a job. Then my huband got laid off in May. We are both colltng unemplyment & we can’t afford hlth ins,

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I lost my job in Feb. and I still can’t find a job. Then my huband got laid off in May. We are both colltng unemplyment & we can’t afford hlth ins,

Could you please tell us what we can do in case one of us get sick? I also have another achild who is 17th years old.

Asked on June 8, 2009 under Insurance Law, California


E.H., Member, Calfiornia Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Medical services can be very expensive if you are not covered with health insurance.  According to California's Deapartment of Managed Health Care, if you do not have health insurance, you should find out about low-cost or no-cost health insurance options, or others resources.

Their website lists many options and resources you can turn to.


As per the website, it is also important to know your costs. 

If you need medical care and you have to pay for it yourself, try to find out how much you will have to pay. Sometimes it is hard to find out costs. And there may be more than one charge, such as one charge from the doctor and another from the hospital or clinic.

  • Ask your doctor, hospital, or other provider what the service will cost.
  • Ask if there is a discount for people who pay with cash or credit card. Ask if you can make payments.
  • Every hospital must provide a list of its 25 most common procedures. These include inpatient services, like hip surgery, as well as outpatient services, like cataract surgery or colonoscopy. You can read these lists on the Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development website.
  • The law says that a hospital must give you a written estimate of hospital charges if you do not have insurance. The hospital must also give you information on financial aid programs and charity care.

J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT, but assist clients in this area. The state and federal government have funded health insurance for people without income or those that are on ste assistance.  Due to the unfortunate economic situation that you are in, I suggest that you look into State and Federally funded health insurance - i.e. medicade.  This will allow you to obtain coverage so that oyu are not without health insurance god forbid something should happen.  You can start by calling a local hospital and asking for the names of the federal or state health insurance programs for you to apply for.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption