If Ilost my job and can’t afford the rent, how doI get out of the lease?

UPDATED: Feb 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If Ilost my job and can’t afford the rent, how doI get out of the lease?

Asked on February 14, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, the fact that you lost you job is not the landlord's concern--he, she, or it does not need to let you out of the lease on this basis. You can only get out of a lease, other than when it expires, if--

1) The landlord breached or violated any material, or important, terms--like not actually letting you use some of the space you rented.

2) The property is effectively uninhabitable, such as due to a lack of heat, major roof leaks, a serious mold condition, etc.

3) The landlord denies you "quiet enjoyment," such as by entering your rental premises without notice and permission, or harassing you while you're in your space.

4) There was some fraud, or material misrepresentation made, to induce you to sign the lease; for  example, you told the landlord you have asthma which is exaccerbated by second hand smoke; the landord assured you it was a no-smoking building; but all your neighbors do smoke and you're being affected by it.

Apart from the above, you would seem to be bound to your lease until it's expiration.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption