If my ex-wife let her house go into foreclosure but my name was still on the mortgage, what rights do I have?

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my ex-wife let her house go into foreclosure but my name was still on the mortgage, what rights do I have?

I lost the house in our divorce.

Asked on September 14, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry.  This is probably one of the most common problems that shakes out after a divorce.  You think that the matter is over but it comes back to haunt you. You still have legal rights as per the mortgage because she never refinanced to get you off the document.  But how your divorce decree reads will govern what you need to do here.  You can either sue for modification of the decree to allow you to bring the mortgage up to date and/or to sell the property and/or to have it awarded back to you.  You can sue her for contempt.  Some one needs to read the paperwork involved with the divorce and help you decide the best course.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption