If I lost my H4 approval notice in a bus and apply for a duplicate H4, how much time will it take?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I lost my H4 approval notice in a bus and apply for a duplicate H4, how much time will it take?

I want to visit my mom who is critically ill in my country of origin. Is there any other way to leave and re-enter US without problems?

Asked on January 5, 2016 under Immigration Law, Texas


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

H-4 approval does not serve as a entry document anyway.  Approval by itself would not get you back into the US; only a valid visa for the H-4 status would.  Therefore, if you are still married or are the child of a valid H-1B holder and can prove your relationship to the principal through a birth certificate or a marriage certificate, you can safely leave to visit your mom and then apply for a H-4 visa at the US Consulate/Embassy in your home country by completing the visa application and having that document that shows the relationship to the H-1B principal as well as the principal's H-1B approval notice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption