If I lost my condo to foreclosure, what actions can the HOA take against me for the balance owed?

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I lost my condo to foreclosure, what actions can the HOA take against me for the balance owed?

How long do they have to take the action? I just want to know my options.

Asked on August 5, 2011 California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you lost your condominium in a foreclosure and you owed the home owner's association money for unpaid monthly fees and other assessments to your former home, you will owe the total of these amounts and accrued interest up to the time you were taken off title to the home at the trustee's sale.

The trustee's sale in California as a senior lien wiped out any and all junior liens that the association placed on your former home under recorded "covenants, conditions and restrictions" upon it when you bought it as a matter of law.

If the association wants to press you for unpaid monies owed concerning your former home, it has up to four years in California under a "common counts" theory of recovery to file a lawsuit against you for the monies owed starting from when the obligation accrued.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption