I lost everything in an electrical apartment fire there were no firewalls present can I sue.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I lost everything in an electrical apartment fire there were no firewalls present can I sue.

I had to run out of a burning building in my underware. Lost everything.

Asked on July 4, 2009 under Personal Injury, Mississippi


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 14 years ago | Contributor

Was the fire caused by faulty wiring? Then you can sue the landlord. Did the landlord not have required safety features--e.g. by not having "firewalls" did they violate building code? Then you could sue for that.

Was the fire caused by another tenant's negligence or carelessness? Then you could sue the tenant.

Was the fire caused by a defective electrical device (such as a toaster that burst into flame, or electric heater that overheated)? Then you might have a products liability suit against the device manufacturer.

Also, depending on the facts, there might be a lawsuit against any electricians or contractors who did shoddy work.

Since you suffered extensive losses--all your belongings, for a start, as well as not having a place to live--and there are a number of possible grounds to sue under and people to sue, you should definitely get a consultation with a local attorney who can check state and local building code and who can look into the facts of your case. This seems like a situation where you should at least take the next step of getting a personal consultation with an attorney to explore your chance of recovering and what you might recover.

And don't forget your landlord should have insurance that might pay out for your losses. And if you had renter's insurance, you might be covered under your own insurance--at least for part if not all. If you have a renter's policy, take a look at it and call the company.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption