If I loaned a friend $3300 about 4 years ago for 2 motorcycles and he has not paid me back, since it was a verbal agreement can I sue him?

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I loaned a friend $3300 about 4 years ago for 2 motorcycles and he has not paid me back, since it was a verbal agreement can I sue him?

I sent sent numerous emails and text messages asking for the money and he would reply saying he would make payments which I agreed to but as the days, weeks and months gone by have not received one penny. I even asked for the motorcycles back so I could sell them and at least recover something from my loss. I found out he traded the motorcycles for something. Since in the past he acknowledged my emails and text messages would this help me in court even though I did not have him sign something upfront? Now he is totally ignoring all my emails and text messages. Do I have a case?

Asked on August 12, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Illinois


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You can sue your friend in Small Claims Court for the amount you are owed plus interest and court costs.  Court costs would include the court filing fee and process server fee.  The text messages and e-mail will provide evidence of the existence of the loan.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption