What can I due about a denial of unemployment benefits and a relocation?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I due about a denial of unemployment benefits and a relocation?

My husband received a job transfer. I asked my employer if there were any transfer opportunities so that I could move with my husband. I was advised there were not and my manager could not justify in his budget for me to work remotely, although we had several engineers working remotely. New Link Destination
maintain 2 residences both in 2 different states would cause my family economic hardship. When I applied for unemployment I was denied denied for not supplying a good cause (and my spouse not is not a service member).

How do I formulate an appeal? I am unemployed and cannot afford an attorney.



Asked on January 20, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Kansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, in your state, leaving work because a spouse relocates, even if it is the only reasonable or logical thing to do, is still legally viewed as a voluntarily separation from employment (i.e. due to your own decision, not due to circumstancers beyond your control) and you are not eligible for unemployment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption