What can I do if my wife will not agree to a divorce?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my wife will not agree to a divorce?

My wife and I filed for divorce 4 years ago she is the one who filed. It was a no-fault divorce. I paid my part but she never did, so I end paying for her but she withdrew her consent. I want to divorce so that I can marry my girlfriend next month. What do I do? I have not heard from her in years and I now live in another state?

Asked on October 9, 2015 under Family Law, Kentucky


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

In a situation such as this, you can obtain a "divorce by default" you do not need your spouse's consent. The way it works is, the petitioning spouse the one who files for the divorce files a valid summons and complaint with the court. They must also serve the respondent the non-filing spouse notice of the action. Once this is done, the petitioner is entitled to a divorce if the respondent fails to file an answer within the specified timeframe typically 30-60 days. After that time, they will be deemed to have "defaulted". Accordingly, the petitioner can then file the final paperwork and appear in court. The judge will make their ruling solely on the information provided by the petitioner. Typically, the divorce is then granted on the terms requested.
At this point, you should consult directly with a local divorce attorney who can further advise you as to your rights under specific state law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption