I live in VT. How old does my 13-yr old twins have to be to talk to court about were they want to live?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I live in VT. How old does my 13-yr old twins have to be to talk to court about were they want to live?

Asked on March 25, 2009 under Family Law, Vermont


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In terms of whether the court will consider their testimony/opinion/position, try reviewing the following:





Rule 4 of the Vermont Rules concerning family proceedings may help shed light.  It has to do with the parent coordinator meeting with the child/.


See also rule 7:

(e)  The Child as a Witness.   


(1) Child as Subject of the Proceedings.  In all proceedings to which this rule applies in which a party seeks to call as a witness a child who is a subject of the proceeding, the court shall first appoint a guardian ad litem for the child. If the court finds after hearing that the testimony of the child is necessary to assist the court in determining the issue before it, that the evidence sought is not reasonably available by any other means, and that the probative value of the testimony outweighs the potential detriment to the child from being called as a witness, the court may allow the testimony under such conditions as it deems appropriate to protect the child. In no case may the child be called as a witness, either at the hearing on the motion or on the merits, until an attorney has been appointed to represent the child. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption