What can I do if I was recently kicked out by roommate and now they are going through all of my personal belongings?

UPDATED: Jun 20, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 20, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I was recently kicked out by roommate and now they are going through all of my personal belongings?

That’s not the problem I’m more then happy to leave but I have found out from a reliable source that my old roommate (who is a male; I’m a female) is going through all my personal belongings. Is this legal?

Asked on June 20, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

No, your roommate is NOT allowed to go through your belongings and, if they take or discard any, you could sue them to recover the value of what is missing and/or report them to the police for theft. They must return your belongings to you if you want them (you have to pick them up; the roommate does not need to ship them).

The lockout you describe seems to be illegal--a landlord, let alone a roommate, cannot simply "kick out" someone. You may have legal grounds to be let back in and/or seek monetary compensation if interested.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption