I live in Texas and got a traffic citation in Louisiana. Will a warrant go out for my arrest in Texas if I do not pay it?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I live in Texas and got a traffic citation in Louisiana. Will a warrant go out for my arrest in Texas if I do not pay it?

I actually will pay the ticket, but it will be past the due date and the court
house does not accept payment arrangements or defensive driving. I have to pay
it on the due date, but I know it will not happen right away due to other

Asked on August 9, 2016 under General Practice, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you do not pay a citation, a warrant can and most likely be issued for your arrest.  However, how long the warrant will be active depends on the state where you received the traffic citation. 
Some states and/or jurisdictions will dismiss a case are three or so years under the theory of 'speedy trial.'  Other states and/or jurisdictions are a bit more tenacious and will simply let it linger out there until the citation is paid.
A majority of states will not extradite you to the citing state for a simple traffic ticket.  However, if it remains active, it will still be a nuisance as you could be arrested multiple times.  After you are arrested, they police can take you to the local jail and hold you until the citing state decides to decline or extradite you.  They may never extradite... but the process of being arrested will never be convenient.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption