If my recently deceased mom had no assets except about $4000 excess money in a funeral Trust, how do we claim that money?

UPDATED: Nov 1, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 1, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my recently deceased mom had no assets except about $4000 excess money in a funeral Trust, how do we claim that money?

This money is what is left after her cremation expenses have been paid.

Asked on November 1, 2014 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Was this a trust that was created by an attorney or was it a trust in that the money was deposited with a funeral director to be held for her services?  Either way the funds should be able to be claimed but how depends on the terms of the trust, etc. The trust could state how the excess funds are to be distributed.  You need to look.  If they were just held "in trust" by a funeral director then they should be returned to the "estate" which will be a small estate proceeding in Probate Court.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption