What should I do if I’m being held responsible for a TV that was stolen and a detective wants to speak with me?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if I’m being held responsible for a TV that was stolen and a detective wants to speak with me?

I live in a complex and my key card to the gate entry was used to enter the gym on Friday night and the TV mounted on the wall was stolen. There are no cameras. My son admitted to being in the gym to the office manager. She informed us that a detective would be speaking to us. I am the lease holder and they are stating that I’m responsible and it’s a felony charge because the TV is over $500. I do not want to speak with the detectives nor do I think my son should.

Asked on February 15, 2016 under Criminal Law, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You and your son are under no legal obligation to speak with the police, even if the show up at your home. Never meet with the authorities under these circumastances without having a lawyer who can advise you. The fact is that the police are trained in interrogation tactics so as to make you say thing to either incriminate yourself or someone else in an incident. Now woud be a good time to consult directly with a criminal law attorney in your area. They can best advise further as to this matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption