If my employer wants to hire me back with less money/hours, will I lose unemployment ifI don’t accept it?

UPDATED: Aug 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my employer wants to hire me back with less money/hours, will I lose unemployment ifI don’t accept it?

I was terminated. I have been collecting unemployment for 6 months. My old boss who let me go and does not like me sent me aletter offering me my job back. He was very abusive towards me. He tried to fight my unemployment and I know it bothered him that I got it. Why would he offer me my job back when he knows I will not take it? Is it because it can stop me from getting my unemployment? What if he offers me less money and less hours? Can I still get unemployment?

Asked on August 3, 2011 Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Itcertainly does sound like you are being set up.  You are not wholly with out rights here and if you think that your employer is only offering you a job to help terminate your benefits then you may not have to take it.  You should, though, hear him out and see what he is offering, then let him know you will get back to him.  Then I would go down to unemployment and speak with them about a "hypothetical" situation.  You have heard from some friends at your job that the boss may offer you a position to set you up with less, hours and less pay, etc.  That the employment conditions were abusive.  What should you do if this happens.   If the time and pay is less you still may receive unemployment benefits.   Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption