What are my options regarding my wife moving several states away from where I live?

UPDATED: Sep 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my options regarding my wife moving several states away from where I live?

I currently live in one state and my wife lives in another; my children live with their mother. I have the following visitation; 1/2 of summer break, every other Thanksgiving, 1/2 of winter break and all spring break. We each drive about 4 hours to the meeting point to exchange children. However, now she has informed me of her intentions to move to a stae that is much furhter away in the next 30 days. Exchanging the children by driving is out; it will now be about 11 hours for each of us. Her solution is to fly them back and forth and split the cost but I can’t afford that: it’s about $1400 for 4 round trip tickets. With the distance we now have, I am still able to drive down and see important life events for the kids but once they move that far, that will be impossible.

Asked on September 10, 2012 under Family Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Please go and speak with an attorney as soon as you can and bring your agreement with you.  Your agreement will help to determine your rights and what you need to do.  Generally parties agree to a mile or distance amount that they can move for the very reasons that you state here: so that each parent can participate in the lives of their children.  In the meantime, speak with a lawyer on the state in which the children reside to bring an emergency petition to prevent her from moving them and/or to modify the custody agreement pending a hearing.  It must be brought in the state in which the children reside.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption