If my 19 year old son hit a pedestrian with his own car, can I be held liable if I insured it?

UPDATED: Oct 22, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 22, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my 19 year old son hit a pedestrian with his own car, can I be held liable if I insured it?

My insurance company says I am liable for Bodily Injury Liability over $50,000 because I insured his vehicle even though he owns his car and is a adult. Is this true?

Asked on October 22, 2014 under Accident Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Normally, a non-owner, non-driver of a car is not responsible for the accidents, etc. of his or her adult children. However, if your son is on your insurance  (as opposed to the much safer for your situation of you merely giving your son money with which he can buy his own insurance, with which you are not connected) and if the policy states that you would be liable for bodily injury over $50k, then you would be--a contract (and an insurance policy is a contract) making person A liable or responsible for the acts or damages of person B is legal and enforceable. So if you have signed your name to policy that would make you liable, you could indeed be held liable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption