If visitation is already established can my child’s father keep her for longer than what visitation states?

UPDATED: Jun 18, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 18, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If visitation is already established can my child’s father keep her for longer than what visitation states?

Asked on June 18, 2015 under Family Law, Iowa


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

It depends: if the visitation is set by a court order or a court-approved agreement, then no--keeping the child for longer than the court has said is permitted is a violation of the court order or agreement, and you could take your child's father to court to enforce the visitation terms. The exception would be if you agreed to allow him to have the child for longer: one parent may agree to extra visitation on a case-by-case or occurence-by-occurence basis.

If there is no formal court order or court-approved agreement, just an informal agreement between the two of you, then he *can*--but you could bring a legal action, if you don't like him doing this, to have the court lay down enforceable visitation guidelines.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption