If abank mistakenly deposited $10,500 in my account and I spent it, what are my legal responsibilities?

UPDATED: Feb 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If abank mistakenly deposited $10,500 in my account and I spent it, what are my legal responsibilities?

The account into which it was deposited was a dormant account that I had set up back 4 years ago. They want me to sign a letter regarding intent and fraud.

Asked on February 14, 2012 under Criminal Law, Idaho


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If there was a mistaken $10,500 deposit placed in a dormant bank account that you had by the bank and you spent the entire amount, you are responsible for having to repay the amount in full back to the bank legally.

I would not sign any letter concerning intent and fraud. I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney about the situation you have gotten yourself into.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption