What to do if I recently received a jury summons?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I recently received a jury summons?

I filled out the required form and check marked the box where it asked if I had ever been convicted of a felony and have not had my civil rights restored. This disqualified me from jury duty. I did this because 45 years ago when I was 20 I was convicted of a federal felony. My concern is that I was sentenced under the “Youthful Offenders Act”, which was supposed to expunge my record after a certain period of time (I received probation). I don’t know how the Youthful Offender Act works. I don’t know if I am still a felon, or not. I never petitioned the court asking that my conviction be expunged, and I never received a notice telling me that my conviction was set aside.

Asked on October 20, 2013 under Criminal Law, California


Tricia Dwyer / Tricia Dwyer Esq & Associates PLLC

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Hello. You need to confer with an attorney licensed in your state as to this issue. Some attorneys are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Many attorneys will speak initially at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys will provide a reduced fee for financial hardship. Some attorneys may also assist you in a limited scope manner to conserve legal costs. All the best.



Tricia Dwyer, Esq & Associates PLLC

Phone: 612-296-9666

365 Days of the Year until 8 p.m. daily



Minnesota Law Firm

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption