What can I do if my ex-wife signed my signature to sell our jointly owned vehicle without my consent?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my ex-wife signed my signature to sell our jointly owned vehicle without my consent?

Our divorce was final 3 months ago. I didn’t ask for anything and never went before the judge to fight for anything. I asked the police about this and they said it would be civil. What’s the bottom line if I file a police report?

Asked on November 4, 2015 under Criminal Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Filing a police report is irrelevant: it's not a crime when an owner sells a car. While her signing your signature does technically make it a crime, clearly the police do not want to help; filing a police report also will not help you get the car back, and your ex-wife is unlikely to suffer any serious punishment.
You also can't get the car back from the buyer, because someone who bought it in good faith, for fair value, from someone who had or reasonably seemed to have the authority (and under these circumstances, she unquestionably seemed to have authority) to sell the car is an innocent third party who did nothing wrong and cannot be made to give up the thing he bought.
All you can do is sue your ex-wife to get from her your share of the car: e.g. if she sold the car for $8,000 (and assuming there was no loan to pay off), you should get $4,000 of that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption