What to do about an eviction notice regarding a dog attack?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about an eviction notice regarding a dog attack?

I live in an apartment and was walking my son’s beagle and dauschund on a lease when another tenant’s dog attacked my beagle. My son contacted the leasing office and they told him that would be no problem and that they would work with him. Now I found a notice in my door that says that they are filing a law suit against us for forcible detainer 5-day notice. What can we do?

Asked on April 6, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You should be able to defend against their attempt to evict you. A tenant may generally only be evicted for the following reasons:

1) Nonpayment of rent;

2) Violation of the lease, after notice to quit and a chance to cure (or correct) the problem;

3) Violating other tenants' right to "peaceful enjoyment" of the premises (harassing them, disturbing the peace, etc.), again, after notice and a chance to stop doing the behavior;

4) Threatening, assulting, or stealing from the landlord;

5) Grossly negligently (recklessly, or with no consideration for the consequences) or intentionally damaging the landlord's premises;

6) For criminal activity, if the lease provides such.

A dog attack would be either 2) or 3) above (it would be #2 only if the lease addressed pets, animal attacks, etc. in some way, and the attack or your possession of the dogs violated the lease terms); however, both of those grounds to evict, even if  your dog instigated the attack or even if you violated the lease in some way, require that you first be provided notice of the issue and a chance to correct it before eviction; you could only be evicted if, after notice, you failed to correct the problem and it re-occured. From what you write, it appears that the landlord cannot simply initiate a lawsuit, whether eviction or forcible detainer, to make you leave.

If possible, get an attorney to help you--the lawyer will know the legal process. If you can't afford an attorney, try Legal Services--they provide free legal assistance to those who cannnot afford a lawyer. If you can't get an attorney, make sure you show up to court and you should be able to defend yourself.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption