If I live in a very unhealthy apartment, how can I legally break my lease?

UPDATED: Nov 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I live in a very unhealthy apartment, how can I legally break my lease?

It has many faults that I asked to have fixed before we moved but never were. The 2 main doors to the apartment do not fully reach the floor so we get massive amounts of bugs and huge red spiders in our rooms, not to mention a very cold breeze. The carpets were poorly cleaned and the whole apartment smelled like carpet cleaner for months. The fact is, that my son is premature and has respritory problems and I can’t bring him home to this place. If I did I would be putting his health and esentially his life at risk. He was 3 months premature. I need out of this lease without killing my credit and breaking my wallet.

Asked on November 22, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Every residential lease contains what is known an "implied warranty of habitability". This warranty requires a landlord to maintain a rental premises in a habitable (i.e. safe and sanitary) condition. This is accomplished by complying with all local and/or state housing codes. Conditions such as you describe, may constitue a breach of that warranty since they potentially pose a health risk.

In such a situation, a tenant must notify their landlord of the problem (which you have already done). The landlord is then required to respond within a reasonable time and take the the steps necessary to resolve the problem. If the landlord fails to take action, then the tenant can choose to do any 1 of the following: they can make the repairs and deduct the cost from the rent; they can move out and terminate their lease (which also terminates their rental obligation for the balance of the term); or if they stay, they can withhold rent and defend against eviction.

Also, the tenant can contact the local housing code enforcement authority, who can bring an action against the landlord for violation of the housing code and compel the landlord to clear up the problem.

At this point, you should contact an attorney who handles these type cases or tenant's advocacy group to be certain as to your specific rights/remedies.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption